Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test™
Description & Features
Find Out Whether Your Students Are Ready for Algebra!
Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test™ (IAAT™), Fifth Edition, assesses students’ readiness for Algebra I, including any additional support and intervention they may need to become successful in the algebra classroom. IAAT is a group-administered, 50-minute algebra placement exam designed for grades 7 and 8 but is suitable for accelerated students in lower grades and high school and junior college students.
Scoring options include hand scoring, or central scoring through Riverside Scoring Service.
The following features set IAAT apart:
- The same high standards of reliability and validity as Iowa Assessments™ Forms E, F, and G
- Two parallel forms enabling pre- and post-testing
- Central scoring available through Riverside Scoring Service for timely and accurate results
- Alignment to the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) standards, ensuring that skills assessed are relevant to today’s algebra curriculum
- Administration that fits into one class period for efficient delivery
IAAT is now available for online testing. Click here for additional information.
IAAT provides educators with a valid and reliable measure of algebra readiness designed and developed to NCTM standards. The exam is organized into four parts:
- Part One: Pre-Algebraic Number Skills and Concepts
Assesses how well students understand the mathematical skills and concepts necessary to succeed in an algebra course
- Part Two: Interpreting Mathematical Information
Assesses how well students can learn new materials presented in graphs or text
- Part Three: Representing Relationships
Assesses students’ abilities to find formulas for numerical relationships
- Part Four: Using Symbols
Assesses how well students understand important algebraic symbols and their use
IAAT was developed at the University of Iowa and meets the highest standards for test quality, so you can count on the information it provides. The Manual for Test Use, Interpretation, and Technical Support is available for purchase to guide educators in the use of IAAT results. Item norms also are available in this manual.
Scoring & Reporting
IAAT can be scored by hand or centrally through Riverside Scoring Service.
Central scoring through Riverside Scoring Service provides fast, efficient, and accurate scoring of IAAT. The Basic Service Plan includes one copy of the Ranked List of Student Scores with Class, Building, and System Summaries. A student data file is available for a small per-student fee.
Self-scoring answer documents are available for hand scoring IAAT.
Self-scoring answer documents are available for hand-scoring of the instrument. Pricing and ordering information is temporarily unavailable.